You know that it has been ages since we made an app for commercial release. Most of our recent work has been technology solutions for the leisure industry such as our work for Escape Reality and Adrian Fisher (Master Maze Maker), but in the background we have been working on a new kids app called DiaryZapp.
DiaryZapp is a space for children to capture their daily adventures, broaden their literacy skills and are their creations very day over the holidays, weekends and beyond.
Noah Dance aged 10, came up with the idea for DiaryZapp after his school suggested that he and his sister keep a diary over the holidays. However, Noah didn’t want to write it in a paper diary he thought it should be online and it should be fun He also wanted to able to share it with his friends and family. Noah’s mum, Charlie, felt the same, but also wanted to be safe in the knowledge that such an app would need to be super safe, fun to use and encourage learning in some way!
Turn summer slide into summer pride…
It is well researched that children lose up to a third of their knowledge over the course of the long summer holidays, negatively impacting their grades and overall performance. This can lead to confidence issues and stress. DiaryZapp was initially borne with a mission to help prevent learning loss, or the ‘summer slide’ as it’s known. Even ten minutes of writing, drawing and reading a day helps to protect them against the negative impact of six weeks off.
With DiaryZapp you can relax safely in the knowledge that your children are exercising their brain muscle every day and any concerns of ‘summer learning loss’ can be firmly locked away.
With DiaryZapp a blank page can quickly be turned into an adventure to be remembered for life.
Ten minutes is all it takes and we bet they’ll be on longer than that, well they’ll have so much to write about … From magnificent dens, to camping at Grandma’s, to devouring the finest fish fingers at their best friend’s house, there are no boundaries to the stories they can tell.
But the creativity doesn’t stop there. Children can get busy using DiaryZapp’s extensive paint and drawing tools. Import their favourite photographs from the day and have fun editing them with the stickers they’ll have won for ‘zapping’ their entries.
The Mum of the family Charlie comments “Essentially it’s about finding the magic that lies in their imagination every day and bringing it to life in a modern, keepsake kind of way… It’s been a lot of fun and hard work to bring Noah’s idea to life, chief tester Ella approves of it so we’ve got the thumbs up there!”
We’ve also teamed up with Photobox so you can easily print off your child’s favourite memories, create holiday mementos or even build an entire book for the whole family to read and enjoy. This makes an excellent bespoke gift for family and friends.
By adding a list of pre-approved email addresses it’s easy for your children to share their day with the family so Grandma’s going to be very happy. She can even leave a positive message to praise them for their writing if she wants to. It’s easy for your children to share their day with fellow Diary Zappers via our secure app-to-app sharing.
– Style Zappicon’s to any shape, size or crazy colours. Add wings, a sword or even a unicorn horn to its head, then take a selfie styled photo to add to your day.
- Earn points for reaching DiaryZapp milestones to unlock more stickers rewards from the treasure trove full of stickers. (these are included in the price – there are no in-app purchases)
- Illustrate every entry with a full kit of colouring pens and tools.
– Make each day extra special by importing photos into the entry. Then squiggle moustaches and fairies over them to add that final perfect touch.
– Uncapped creativity… your child can create as many pages per day as they please. Let the novel begin…
– Positive encouragement and help is given to guide your child through their diary by their Zappicon. They will help them if they get stuck choosing what to write about, or how to spell a word. These are then repeated carefully for the following weeks to ensure that they are retained within their memory.
- Advance reading ability
- Increase vocabulary
- Strengthen retention skills
- Raise spelling skills
- Improve word association
- Inspire creativity
- Enhance imagination
- Encourage sharing etiquette
- … An overall literacy boost!
DiaryZapp is a family company, created for other families to enjoy. We reassure you of the following:
- There are no in-app purchases within DiaryZapp. Not one
- DiaryZapp is not a newsreel that is visible in any way to the world
- Your details and your children’s details are kept strictly private
- You the parent are the ‘Chief Adult’ within DiaryZapp. You are the gateway to approve who is on the buddy list and can even choose, if you wish, to approve entries before they are sent
“When Jon and Charlie first approached us, we loved their story and were genuinely surprised at the lack of quality apps for children. It was interesting to understand more about the target audience and use our expertise to develop their idea from concept to product. Diary Zapp is certainly different to what’s already out there and I’m looking forward to seeing how children and families embrace it.”
Nathan Broadbent Matmi’s Digital Strategy Director